In India, about 160 million people consume alcohol. Out Of these, 95 per cent are male whose age is between 18 and 49 years. Billions of litres of alcohol are consumed in the country every year. There are many states in our country where people line up at liquor shops like there is a line at medical stores. There is a total of 28 states and 8 union territories in India. Of these states, liquor is banned in Manipur, Lakshadweep, Bihar, Gujarat, Mizoram and Nagaland.
Despite the liquor ban in Bihar, many people still drink alcohol. Crisil has surveyed in the year 2020, 5 states Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala had consumed about 45 per cent of the total alcohol sold in the country. Other states like Punjab, Chhattisgarh, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh and Goa have the highest use of alcohol.
Do you know which state in the country drinks the most alcohol? Keeping the mentioned states out, as I mentioned above remaining states people drink about 600 crore litres of liquor every year. The state levies tax on this liquor and earns its income.
Barring the states that have banned liquor, the remaining states and union territories have earned a total of Rs 1,75,501.42 crore in the year 2019-20 from the state excise duty on liquor. It has been found in the survey that alcohol, cannabis and other intoxicants are the most used in the country.
Alcohol Consumption Statewise
- Chhattisgarh with a population of about 30 million. About 35.6 per cent of people consume alcohol.
- In Andhra Pradesh, about 34.5 per cent of people consume alcohol regularly.
- In Tripura, 34.7% of people consume alcohol. Of these, 13.7 per cent of people regularly consume alcohol.
- In Punjab, with a population of about 30 million, 28.5% of people consume alcohol. Of these, the figure for regular drinkers is 6 per cent.
- In Goa26.4 per cent of the population, consumes alcohol.
- In Arunachal Pradesh, 28 per cent population drink alcohol.
- West Bengal state with a population of about 10 crores and about 1.4 crore people consume alcohol.
- Karnataka with a population of 62 million, about 11 per cent of the people consumes alcohol.
- In Kerala about 19.9 per cent of the people here consume alcohol.
- In Tamil Nadu with a population of 73 million, about 15 per cent of people consume alcohol.
- In Rajasthan 2.1 per cent population drink alcohol.
- Meghalaya 3.4 per cent has the least alcohol consumption, barring the prohibition states of Bihar and Gujarat.
- Uttar Pradesh with a population of about 10 crores, 14 per cent i.e. about 1.4 crore people consume alcohol.