Story of Russian Twin brothers, killed in Ukraine

Ground Report | New Delhi: The Russian twin’ brothers died fighting side by side in Putin’s war in Ukraine as part of the heavy losses suffered by Moscow.

Sergeants Anton and Alexei Vorobyov, 29, died on March 12, three weeks after Moscow forces invaded the country on February 24.

The Vorobyovs were signalmen for the 150th Rifle Division, a World War-era unit that was reformed in 2013. It was one of several Russian units that suffered heavy casualties in the first weeks of the war.

The Russian twin brothers, who leave couples, one of whom is pregnant, were buried in coffins draped with Russian flags in Novocherkassk on Tuesday at one of the hundreds of funerals taking place across Russia.

“Anton told me that he loved the service,” Anastasia Novikova, a childhood friend, told the Moscow Times. I have many memories of Anton, and they are all good memories. We never had a single fight in 19 years.’

Both men left behind partners, one of whom is pregnant, reports said.

Moscow’s men have suffered heavy losses in the five-week war and NATO estimates that between 7,000 and 15,000 Russian soldiers have been killed in the fighting. Ukraine claims that up to 17,000 people have died.

Meanwhile, Putin, this week ordered 134,500 more conscripts aged 18 to 27 to join his army as part of the annual spring military draft, which runs from April 1 to July 15.

It comes as Ukrainian forces recaptured the Hostomel airbase on the outskirts of the capital on Thursday, where fierce fighting took place in the early days of the war, as Russia continues to withdraw some of its forces.

Also Read:  Who was Bato Basanov, Russian Champion Tank player killed In Ukraine?

The Kremlin has lost at least eight colonels and several other high-ranking officers, including Lt. Col. Alexander Kornik, who was reported dead on Thursday along with eight members of his regiment.

Kornik, 39, was said to have died when his regiment was attacked while building a pontoon bridge in the Chernihiv region on March 27, Ukrainian journalist Roman Tsymbalyuk said.

It came the day after news broke that Russia’s top general, Colonel Denis Kurilo, had been “eliminated” along with 1,500 soldiers while fighting on the outskirts of Ukraine’s second-largest city, Kharkiv.

Earlier this week, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an additional 134,500 conscripts to join the army.

Recruits must be between the ages of 18 and 27 and will join under the annual spring military draft that runs through July 15.

On Thursday, Ukrainian fighters recaptured the Hostomel air base.

You can connect with Ground Report on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Whatsapp and Subscribe to our YouTube channel. For suggestions and writeups mail us at GReport2018@gmail.com

ALSO READ