Ahead of the MP assembly elections in 2023, the Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR) has released its report, which revealed that 93 sitting Members of Legislative Assembly (MLAs) of 230 have criminal charges against them. ADR is a non-profit organisation that discloses the background of candidates contesting elections.
Criminal cases involving sitting MLAs
As per reports, 39 members belong to the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP), 52 to the Indian National Congress (INC), one to the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), and the remaining one is independent. The report focused on 47 MLAs out of 93 having serious cases: one MLA has a case of murder (IPC Section 302), six MLAs have cases of attempted murder in IPC 307, and two MLAs have cases against women crime under IPC 354.
List of MLAs having most of registered cases
|Gwalior||Pradhuman Singh Tomar||INC||20|
|Bhopal Dakshin Paschim||PC Sharma||INC||14|
Financial background of sitting MLAs
The report also mentioned the financial background of MLAs, stating that 186 out of the 230 sitting MLAs are crorepati. 76 members out of 97 are from the opposition. Sanjay Shukla, the richest MLA of the Congress party, holds wealth worth over Rs 139 crore. Sanjay Shukla is elected from the Indore (also called Mini Mumbai) 1st assembly, and in this MP assembly election 2023, he is contesting against the senior BJP leader Kailash Vijayvargiya.
The 107 MLAs out of 129 of BJP are crorepati; Sanjay Pathak is the richest, holding over Rs 226 crore. He was elected from the Viajyraghavgarh assembly seat in Katni district.
Education Qualification of Sitting MLAs
The 62 MLAs declared educational qualification to be between 5th and 12th grade; frequently, 158 MLAs declared graduation and above. Four MLAs have declared themselves literate, and one has declared themselves illiterate. MP will undergo polls on November 17 and count votes on December 3.
- A triangular contest brews in Ujjain North seat, BJP denies ticket six-time MLA
- Maihar Vidhan Sabha: Congress-BJP candidate announced, but all eyes are on Narayan
- A closer look at Shivpuri assembly seat, a stronghold of Scindia dynasty
- Inside Chhindwara assembly seat, Kamal Nath’s prized trophy that the BJP eyes
- A closer look at Shivraj Chouhan’s constituency Budhni, BJP stronghold that keeps giving
- MP election 2023: a closer look at Narottam Mishra’s Datia Legislative Assembly seat