In the Union Budget 2023, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has set a target of increasing green hydrogen production in India. Under this, GAIL India Limited will set up India’s largest Proton Exchange Membrane Electrolyzer in Guna, which will start production of green hydrogen by the end of 2023.
Green hydrogen is the fuel of the future, it is a green fuel that is less harmful to the environment. India’s largest gas transporting firm GAIL has been awarded the contract to set up a PEM-based project producing 4.3 metric tonnes of green hydrogen per day. This will be the largest PEM electrolyzer in the country.
This plant is being set up at Vijaypur Complex in Guna. This project will be ready by November 2023.
Hydrogen is considered a better option to meet the world’s energy needs, as it does not harm the environment.
How is Hydrogen fuel made?
There are three ways to make hydrogen fuel, the first is coal gasification, which is called brown hydrogen. The second is through methane present in natural gas, which is called blue hydrogen, and the third is by splitting water through electrolyzers, which is called green hydrogen. Green hydrogen is the cleanest of the three and produces zero carbon emissions.
List of Green Hydrogen projects in India
- Green Hydrogen Plant of GAIL India at Guna, Madhya Pradesh
- Indian Oil Corp projects in Mathura, Panipat, and Jorhat
- Three pilot projects of NTPC will start at Kawas in Gujarat, Leh, and Vindhyachal in MP.
- ONGC is going to set up a green hydrogen plant in association with Greenco Company.
- Bharat Petroleum 5 MW Green Hydrogen Plant in Odisha
- Adani New Industries Limited will invest a huge amount in green hydrogen in the coming years
- Larsen & Turbo Limited has set up its plant at AM Naik Heavy Engineering Complex in Hazira Gujarat.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited is going to set up a green hydrogen plant with a capacity of 370 tonnes per annum in Visakhapatnam.
- Green hydrogen market in India likely to reach $8 billion by 2030
- What is Green Hydrogen? Could it change energy in South Asia?
- C40 cities to drive creation of 50 million green jobs by 2030
- National Hydrogen Energy Mission, Explained!
Follow Ground Report for Climate Change and Under-Reported issues in India. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Koo App, Instagram, Whatsapp and YouTube. Write us on GReport2018@gmail.com