Manchester Police have dropped all charges of attempted rape, abuse and coercive and controlling conduct against Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood.
Greenwood, 21, was arrested in January 2022 after a friend of his former partner published a series of photos and videos on social networks. She appeared with injuries allegedly caused by the footballer.
The player was suspended by United, a club in which he had been a member since he was six years old, and has not played football since January 22, 2022.
In addition, he lost several advertising contracts, including that of the sports brand Nike, and was removed from the FIFA 22 video game.
Why charges against Mason Greenwood dropped?
“Given the media importance of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that a 21-year-old man, who was arrested and charged in an investigation opened in January 2022, is not facing criminal proceedings against him in relation to this,” Chief Superintendent of Manchester Police Michaela Kerr said.
“The investigative team has been in regular contact with the legal team and understands the discontinuation of proceedings at this point and that this decision has not been taken lightly. Despite public and press interest in this case, we have decided not to comment any further,” he added.
The charges against Mason Greenwood, which include attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault causing actual bodily harm, have been dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service due to the withdrawal of key witnesses.
Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood has been cleared of rape and assault charges after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) dropped the charges against him.
The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 in connection with images and videos that had surfaced online, prompting allegations of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault causing actual bodily harm.
Mason Greenwood free of charge
A spokesman for the prosecution said that the charges against Mason Greenwood were dropped due to “the withdrawal of a key witness” and new material that has come to light that has shown that there is no “realistic prospect of guilt” about the footballer.
“The investigative team has been in regular contact with the legal team and understands the discontinuation of proceedings at this point and that this decision has not been taken lightly. Despite public and press interest in this case, we have decided not to comment further,” Kerr added.
Is Greenwood playing for Manchester United again?
In February 2021, Mason Greenwood renewed his contract with Manchester United until 2025. Therefore, although the club removed him as soon as the case was uncovered, he continued to belong to the ‘Red Devils’.
With the withdrawal of charges against Greenwood, the attacker reappeared this Thursday on the club’s website. His name and image are part of the squad again, standing out along with the other strikers who are under the command of Erik ten Hag. With the Old Trafford team, he has accumulated 129 games and 35 goals scored.
- Mason Greenwood scandal Video; A Complete story
- Video viral: Mason Greenwood’s Girlfriend, Harriet accuses him of rape
- Who is the another premier league Player arrested for assaulting woman?
Follow Ground Report for Climate Change and Under-Reported issues in India. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Koo App, Instagram, Whatsapp and YouTube. Write us on GReport2018@gmail.com.