Ground Report | New Delhi: Top 10 Indian States in Literacy; Literacy has always been a key foundation in knowing the growth of a country. India is a home to a population of 1.38 billion people in which about 77.70% of the people are literate as per the national statistical office whereas this rate was 73% as per 2011 census, but that doesn’t state whether all of them are educated. This is because there’s a significant difference between education and literacy.
The fundamental difference which distinguishes the two elements of literacy and education is, that literacy is the ability to read and write whereas education is the ability to acquire skills, knowledge, values, and so forth.
Top 10 Indian States in Literacy as per 2021
India’s Literacy rate as stated above is 77.70% whereas the rate of literacy for men and women stands at 84.40% and 71.50% respectively as per the data of the National Family Health Survey.
- 1 Kerela – Kerela stands at no.1 with its literacy rate being 96.2% from 93.91% in 2011 as per census. The reason for such a successive literacy rate in Kerela is that it has always kept education as a top priority. In 2016, it completely transformed the percentage of people with primary education to a hundred percent. As per 2007, its total enrollment in elementary education was also a hundred percent and with this, it has also succeeded in completing 99% of schools in villages at just a 2kilometer distance. The male literacy rate is 97.4% whereas the women literacy rate is 95.2%.
- 2 Delhi – Delhi stands at the second spot with a literacy rate of 88.7% with its government focusing on quality school education and practical learning even in government schools. The male literacy rate however is greater than the female literacy rate at 93.7% and 82.4%. Delhi has significantly improved from 86.34% in the last five years. Earlier this place was backed by Lakshadweep.
- 3 Uttarakhand – Uttarakhand grabs the third spot at 87.6% due to its focus on rural education. The literacy rate for men and women is at 94.3% and 80.7% respectively. The data is collected from business insiders. Uttarakhand has also shown a tremendous improvement in its literacy rate where it stood earlier in the last five years at 79.6% as the government also focused on computer-based learning. This spot was earlier backed by Mizoram.
- 4 Himachal Pradesh- Himachal Pradesh also has shown a significant improvement in the area of literacy rate by standing at 86.6% from 83.27% in the last five years, while the female literacy rate is 80.5% and male literacy rate is 92.9%. This spot was earlier backed by Goa.
- 5 Assam- Assam’s literacy rate stands at 85.9% while the female literacy rate stands at 81.2% and the male literacy rate stands at 90.1%. The literacy rate of Assam has prominently fled high and showed growth in the last five years by making it up in the top five literacy rates. Assam literacy rate as per 2011 census 72.19%. The 5th spot was earlier dedicated to Tripura
- 6 Maharashtra – Maharashtra’s current literacy rate is 84.8% as earlier in the last five years it was 82.91%. Being the second most populous state in India, it has surely had slight growth in its literacy rate. Before Maharashtra, the place was won by Daman & Due.
- 7 Punjab – Punjab stands at seventh spot in the literacy rate state wise list at 83.7% While the male literacy rate is 80.44% and female literacy rate 75.87%. Punjab has shown growth as compared to the 2011 census. The seventh spot was earlier dedicated to Andaman & Nicobar Island.
- 8 Gujrat – The city hub of businesses stands at 82.4%. The male literacy rate and the female literacy rate is 85.75% and 69.68%, respectively. Before Gujrat, the place was won by Delhi at a rate of 86.2%. This shows the pivotal but necessary growth of both Gujrat and Delhi.
- 9 West Bengal – West Bengal’s literacy rate is 81.69% while an optimistic fact is that the female literacy rate of West Bengal is higher than the male literacy rate being at 80.5% and 70.54% respectively. The 9th spot was won by Chandigarh at 86%, this shows a significant decline in the growth of West Bengal but an Upward Growth of West Bengal.
- 10 Haryana – Haryana grabs the 10th spot in the list of highest literacy rates in India with a rate of 80.4%. The male literacy rate is at 84.06%, however, the female literacy rate seems a little disappointing while being at just 65.94%. The tenth spot was backed by Puducherry at 85.8%, this shows a similar impact as stated in the above state.
Lower Literacy Rate states
India’s Lowest Literacy rate is of Bihar at 63.82%, followed by Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Madhya Pradesh. All of the mentioned states have somewhat between 60% to 70% literacy rate. A lot of other states may show a low literacy rate but have grown in the last decade such as Bihar.
All of the states have somewhat grown in terms of literacy, in the duration of the 2001 – 2011 census, these states with low literacy rates stood at 30 to 40% low literacy rate which today has grown to be 60% to 70%. Some states pose as a good example to follow such as Kerela, Bihar, and Tripura as they might have the highest or lowest literacy rate but always had consistent growth.
You can connect with Ground Report on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Whatsapp and Subscribe to our YouTube channel. For suggestions and writeups mail us at GReport2018@gmail.com Top 10 Indian States in Literacy
ALSO READ: Coke Studios Kana Yaari song with Lyrics