Ground Report | New Delhi: 10 Indian States with Most Domestic Violence Cases; Domestic violence is stated as per the report of the National Family Health Survey as the highest crime against women surpassing rape. Violence, in general, is excessively increasing in our country. We as a nation are witness to a patriarchal structure of society with an outdated and orthodox mindset that is submissive to women. Domestic abuse can be in any form mental, physical, and sexual but these data largely focus on physical and sexual abuse at the domestic level. As per the reports of National Family Health Survey 5 (2019-2020) the states below have the most domestic violence cases:
- Karnataka: As per the report of NFHS 5 Karnataka has the highest number of domestic violence cases in India, with a whopping 44% Karnataka unfortunately and shamefully stands at the first spot. The no. of such cases has increased from 20.6% as per reports of NFHS 4. Most of the cases however go either unreported or are justified by the victim. Sexual Violence against women at the age of 18 was at 10.3% as per the NFHS 5 declining from 11% as per NFHS 4 (2015-16).
- Bihar: Bihar falls on second place with spousal violence between the age 18 to 49 of women, reaching 40% declining from 43.7% as per NFHS 4 while 8% of women experienced sexual violence at the age of 18 as per the reports of NFHS 5 declining from 14.2% as per NFHS 4.
- Manipur: Manipur’s cases of domestic and spousal violence have successively declined to 39.6% as per NFHS 5 from 53.2% as per NFHS 4 but remain a terrifying factor in rising of domestic abuse. Sexual abuse experiences of women at the age of 18, however, have declined to 5.4%in 2019-20 from 14% in 2015-16.
- Telangana: Domestic abuse in Telangana has declined from 42.9% in 2015-16 to 36.9% in 2019-20. Sexual abuse on the other hand has declined from 7.4% in 2015-16 to 5% in 2019-20 but remains at an unfortunate rate.
- Assam: Assam stands at 32% as per NFHS 5 and has increased from 24.5% as per NFHS 4. This rise has brought fear in many and threatened many to curb their voices. Even this rise could also be seen in the rise of sexual abuse against women at the age of 18 as the cases have risen from 5.8% in 2015-16 to 8% in 2019-20.
- Andhra Pradesh: Domestic abuse in Andhra Pradesh has declined from 43.4% as per NFHS 4 to 30% as per NFHS 5. Sexual abuse cases in Andhra Pradesh have declined to 3.7% as per NFHS 5 from 6.8% as per NFHS 4.
- West Bengal: Domestic abuse in West Bengal has declined from 33.1% in 2019-20 to 27% in 2015-16. Sexual abuse in West Bengal has unfortunately increased from 8.9%in 2015-to 16 to 9.7% in 2019-20.
- Maharashtra: Domestic abuse in Maharashtra has increased from 21.3% as per NFHS 4 to 25.2% in NFHS 5. This is a disgrace for a city with the hub of dreams and opportunities as sexual violence has also increased from 2.9% as per NFHS 4 to 6.2% as per NFHS 5.
- Tripura: Tripura has seen a massive decline from 28.1% as per NFHS 4 to 20.7% as per NFHS 5. Tripura in terms of sexual abuse with women at 18 has declined from 10.2% as per NFHS 4 to 7% as per NFHS 5. (Indian States Domestic Violence)
- Ladakh: A massive increase has been seen in the cases of domestic abuse in Ladakh as per the reports of NFHS 5 the cases have risen from 8.5% to 18.1%. The case rose also in the context of sexual abuse from 1.2% in 2015-16 to 8.7% in 2019-20.
States with Lowest Percentage of Domestic Abuse Cases:
As the National Family Health Survey report states the highest number of cases of domestic abuse in India, it also states the lowest number of cases of domestic abuse. States and Union Territories like Lakshadweep, Nagaland, Goa, Himachal Pradesh, and Jammu Kashmir have the lowest percent of domestic abuse cases at 1.3%, 6.4%, 8.3%, 8.3%, and 9.6% respectively. However, the lowest percentage of cases doesn’t reflect the same for NFHS 4 (2015-16).
The percentage of cases is different for every state but the highest and lowest percentage of domestic doesn’t reflect the performance of the state for the same. As the most improved domestic abuse cases include states with the highest domestic abuse percentage as well, such as Manipur, Telangana, and Andhra Pradesh at 39.6%, 36.9%, and 30% respectively. Whereas states with the lowest percentage of domestic abuse cases such as Lakshadweep, Nagaland, and Goa had declined from past percentages of 8.9%, 13.1%, and 12.9% respectively as per the reports of NFHS 4.
You can connect with Ground Report on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Whatsapp and Subscribe to our YouTube channel. For suggestions and writeups mail us at GReport2018@gmail.com Indian States Domestic Violence