Famous comedian and veteran actor, Jagdeep, passed away at the age of 81 due to health-related issues. He was best known for his role of Soorma Bhopali that he played in the 1975 film Sholay. His famous dialogue from the film, “Mera Naam Soorma Bhopali aise hi nahi”, was very popular amongst his fans. So much was the craze around the character that he even went on to direct a movie of the same name, depicting his character in the lead role.
ALSO READ: नहीं रहे ‘सूरमा भोपाली’, 81 की उम्र में निधन
Here are 10 interesting facts about Soorma Bhopali Jagdeep
- He was born on 29 March 1939, in Datia, Madhya Pradesh, and was married three times. Famous comedians, Javed and Naved Jaffrey are his sons.
- Jagdeep’s real name was ‘Syed Ishtiaq Ahmed Jaffrey’ and he started his career as a child artist in the film ‘Afsana’.
- “Soorma Bhopali Jagdeep” named so after his famous dialogue, “Mera Naam Soorma Bhopali aise hi nahi”.
- As a young boy, he faced a lot of problems. Jagdeep’s father died at the time of partition and his family had nowhere to go. When he moved to Bombay, his mother struggled to meet ends for her children. Seeing this, Jagdeep dropped out of school at a young age and started selling soap on the road. It was only after he landed a role in BR Chopra’s ‘Afsana’, that he started earning enough to support his family.
- He worked as a child artist by the name of Master Munna. And after his role in ‘Do Bigha Zameen,’ he started getting recognized by the people.
- Jagdeep’s role in ‘Hum Panchi Ek Dal Ke’ was highly appreciated. So good was his acting, that after watching the film, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, gifted his personal staff to Jagdeep.
- Having done films like ‘Purana Mandir’, ‘Ab Dilli Door Nahi’, ‘Munna’, and ‘Aar Paar’, Jagdeep appeared in more than 400 films during his career.
- He also had some hit songs picturised on him. These included songs like ‘Pas Baitho Tabiyat Bahal Jayegi’ from the movie ‘Punarmilan’, ‘Aa Gaye Yaron Jeene Ke Din’ from the movie ‘Phir Wohi Baat’ and many others.
- Better known as a comedian, Jagdeep is also remembered for the role he played in the movie ‘Andaz Apna Apna’.
- He was last seen in the film ‘Gali Gali Chor Hai’ (2012), where he played the role of a police constable.
- Other than comedy, Jagdeep had also appeared in horror movies like Purana Mandir and 3D Saamri.
ALSO READ: After A Dramatic Chase, Gangster Vikas Dubey Arrested In Ujjain
As an actor whose career spanned almost over 6 decades, Jagdeep breathed his last on 8th July, at his Bandra residence.
Written By Shiwangi, She is doing her Masters in Mass Communication from GGS IP University, New Delhi.
You can connect with Ground Report on Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp, and mail us at GReport2018@gmail.com to send us your suggestions and writeups