Ground Report | New Delhi: Investigation agency in Jammu and Kashmir; The central government on November 1 announced the setting up of a new Special Investigation Agency (SIA) in the Kashmir region under its administration, called the State Investigation Agency (SIA). The agency will primarily investigate cases related to terrorism.
In an official statement, “The SIA will act as a nodal agency for liaison with the National Investigation Agency (NIA) and other central agencies, as well as speed up the investigation of terrorism-related cases. It will take necessary steps such as taking action.
What is its purpose?
The agency was set up to deal with terrorism-related cases that are not referred to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), in particular. For this, the SIA will have an office in Kashmir and a director will be appointed. The officers in charge of all police stations will have to immediately inform the SIA about any case registered in connection with terrorism. This will include cases in which the investigation revealed something about terrorism.
It will cover all terrorist acts, including terrorism-related crimes, terrorist financing, and the spread of counterfeit currency notes. These include major conspiracy cases related to terrorism and cases related to terrorism propaganda, false statements, incitement on a large scale, spreading dissatisfaction, and hostility against the country.
The official order also said that all officers in charge of police stations, including those specified in the order, must immediately inform the SIA on the registration of cases related to insurgency.
Apart from this, all such cases where there is any kind of terrorism link between the investigation will also be referred to the SIA. The agency will reportedly have the authority to register an FIR while informing the DGP of Jammu and Kashmir, The Hindu reported.
The Gupkar coalition on the constitution of the SIA is an umbrella body of regional parties, including the National Conference (NC) and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), being another state apparatus employed to curtail the rights and liberties of Kashmiris.
Investigation agency in Jammu and Kashmir
“Wherever, on information under section 6 of the National Investigation Act, 2008, the investigation is not conducted by the NIA, the DGP, Jammu, and Kashmir shall determine having regard to the seriousness of the offence, the progress of the investigation, and other relevant factors. Whether the matter is fit for investigation by the SIA in consultation with the SIA and to transfer the investigation of such matter at any time during the course of the investigation; however, if there is a difference of opinion, the DGP shall take a decision recording the reasons in writing,” it reads.
In cases where the investigation is not transferred to the SIA, the PHQ shall ensure that the SIA is informed about the progress of the investigation at regular intervals, preferably on a fortnightly basis, the order stated, Outlook reported.
The order said that where the SIA is of the opinion that an offense specified that a case is fit for investigation, the SIA shall, under intimation to the DGP, Jammu, and Kashmir, register an FIR. “The SLA shall also be the agency for investigation and trial of offenses in cases transferred to the State Government in accordance with Section 7 of the National Investigation Act, 2008.”
It reads that the head of the CID Wing shall be the ex-officio Director of the SIA and the Director SIA shall, to the extent it relates to the functioning of the SLA, exercise such powers as may be specified by the Government from time to time.
It further states that the employees posted in SIA will be given a special incentive of 25 percent of the basic pay.
The Home Department of Jammu and Kashmir issued another order giving special security allowance to the Special Operation Group and Bomb Disposal Squad. The Special Operations Group is the counter-terrorism wing of the Jammu and Kashmir Police and is involved in almost all counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir.
What will be the role of new Agency?
• As per the order, all officers-in-charge of police stations shall compulsorily inform the Special Investigation Agency (SIA) immediately upon registration of terrorism-related cases.
• Those cases will also be reported to the SIA where any kind of terrorism links come to the fore during the investigation.
• Where the investigation is not conducted by the DGP, the NIA, J&K, having regard to the gravity of the offences, progress of the investigation, and other relevant factors, shall, in consultation with the Special Investigation Agency, determine whether the case is justified or not. . The investigation was carried out by the SIA, and the investigation of the case was transferred at any time during the course of the investigation.
• Where the agency is of the opinion that a specified offense has been committed, which is suitable for investigation by it, the Special Investigation Agency shall suo moto register an FIR, under intimation to the DGP, Jammu, and Kashmir.
• The Special Investigation Agency (SIA) will also be the agency for the investigation and trial of offenses in cases transferred to the State Government as per Section 7 of the National Investigation Act.