Nitin Rawat | Ground Report | The National Zoological park is a 176 acre zoo in New Delhi. Visitors are not permitted to bring any food in their bag. It is home to a large number of species , animals and birds.
The zoo also provide home to the endangered species of animals. The park was opened on 1 November 1959 in the Delhi zoo. The park was renamed as National Zoological park in 1982.
There are many animals which I have to see. National Zoological park Delhi comes under Delhi government.
Proper habitat is provided to the animals while living in their demarcated territory inside the zoo. Food is provided to all the animals timely. Daily, approximately 400 to 500 visitors visit this place.
With educational point of view, this place is very good for the young children, and also it makes them aware of their surroundings.
Wildlife photography pictures
- The Gaur is also known as the Indian bison , is a bovine native to south and south east Asia and has been listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red list since 1986 .
- Gaur is a close wild relative domestic cattle.
- The gaur has a head-and-body length of 250 to 330 cm (8 ft. 2 in to 10 ft. 10 in) with a 70 to 105 cm (28 to 41 in) long tail, and is 142 to 220 cm (4 ft. 8 in to 7 ft. 3 in) high at the shoulder, averaging about 168 cm (5 ft.36 in) in females and 188 cm (6 ft. 2 in) in males.
- White tigers are an endangered species and it is said that less than a dozen have been seen in India in about a hundred years. In fact no sightings have been reported since 1951.
- They differ from the normally colored tigers by having blue eyes, a pink nose, and creamy white fur with black stripes.
- The scientific name for a tiger is Panther Tigris.
- The largest of the big cats may grow to over 12 feet long from its head to the tip of its tail, and weigh as much as 660 pounds
- The white tiger has long been the focus of human fear and respect for years because of its powerful muscular body, loud roar, and frightening snarl revealing large, sharp teeth.
- A white tiger is not a sub-specie of tiger.
- It is boldly marked with large dark spots on a creamy beige background Feeds mainly on rodents.
- It is often found around cultivated fields but is absent from the open desert.
- The Diadem snake is also regarded as beneficial to farmers since it help to keep small rodents under control.
- It is also known as pet snake.
- The Diadem Snake is named for the distinctive head markings, consisting of a dark band , which run across the head between the eyes behind which several irregular , dark spots may be present.
- An active predator, it predominantly feeds on rodents, throwing a loop of its body over its prey to immobilise it, before delivering a suffocating bite with its powerful jaws and also produces chemical secretions from an oral gland, which are highly toxic to small mammals, but pose no danger to humans.
- They often Rest amongst stones loose rocks , desert plant roots , or in rodents burrows during the day to avoid the extreme heat.
- Indian Rhinoceros is called greater one horned rhinoceros, the largest of the three Asian Rhinoceros .
- The Indian Rhinoceros weight between 1,800 and 2,700kg (4000 and 6000 pounds).
- It stands 2metre (7 feet high at the shoulder and is 3.5 meter (11.5 feet) long.
- The Indian Rhinoceros is more or less equivalent in size to the white rhinoceros of Africa and is distinguishable from the Javan rhinoceros by its greater size, the presence of a large horn tubercles on its skin, and a different arrangement of skin folds.
- Leopard are astonishingly strong.
- They are pound for pound the strongest of the big cat.
- They are able to climb trees, even when carrying heavy prey , and often choose to rest on the trees branches during the day.
- They are renowned for their agility.
- The leopard live alone and hunt mostly at night.
- Most leopard have a coat that is a tawny gold color with dark spot.
- Both leopard and jaguars that are melanistic are known as Black panthers.