Ground Report | New Delhi: List of Indians in Pandora Papers; Millions of leaked documents labeled the Pandora Papers and Sunday World Press Coalition claim to have discovered financial secrets current and former world leaders, politicians, and public officials in 91 countries and territories, including India.
The International Federation of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) involving the BBC and ‘The Protector ‘ newspapers in the UK and ‘The Indian Express ‘ in 150 media outlets in India, in its investigation, has claimed to have received more than that amount of 11.9 million confidential files. To trace the secret financial transactions of many super-rich.
“Indian cricket superstar Sachin Tendulkar, pop music diva Shakira, supermodel Claudia Schiffer and the Italian gang known as ‘Lal the Fat One’ have been linked with secret documents. “The cricketer’s investment is legal and has been reported to the tax authorities, counsel for Mr. Tendulkar. Ms. Shakira’s lawyer, the singer, declared her companies, the lawyer said, did not offer tax benefits.
ALSO READ: What are Pandora Papers?
List of Indians in Pandora Papers
Reliance ADAG Boss Anil Ambani:
- The Pandora Papers, checked by The Indian Express, show that the chairman of the Reliance ADA Group and his representatives own at least 18 offshore companies in Jersey, the British Virgin Islands (BVI) and Cyprus. In February 2020, after a dispute with three Chinese state-controlled banks, Ambani declared bankruptcy in a UK court, saying his net worth was zero.
Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar:
- In the latest ICIJ investigation, the name of legendary cricketer and master blaster Sachin Tendulkar has also come to the fore in the ‘Pandora Papers’ leak.
Fugitive jeweler Nirav Modi’s sister:
- Before fugitive diamond jeweler Nirav Modi fled India in January 2018, his sister Purvi Modi reportedly set up a firm in the British Virgin Islands as the corporate protector of a trust formed through Trident Trust Company, Singapore.
Husband of Biocon Founder Kiran Mazumdar Shaw:
- John McCallum Marshall Shaw, a British national and husband of Biocon promoter Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, set up a trust with keys for a person who was banned by SEBI for insider trading.
Bollywood actor Jackie Shroff:
- Pandora Papers has further revealed that popular Bollywood actor Jackie Shroff was a major beneficiary of a trust set up by his mother-in-law in New Zealand.