Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Kushinagar International Airport in Uttar Pradesh. The first flight will land at the airport from Colombo, carrying a delegation of over 100 Buddhist monks and dignitaries.
Interesting Facts about this Newly built Airport in Kushinagar
- This airport will boost tourism, hotel and Restaurant Industry in Kushinagar. This will generate employment in the area.
- Kushinagar is well known as Budhist pilgrimage site, tourists from all over the world visit here.
- Connectivity for Inetrnational and domestic pilgrims will improve.
- Tourism inflow is expected to rise by up to 20% with the inauguration of the flight.
- Airport is spread across 3600sqm. It is built at an estimated cost of ₹260 crore.
- The new terminal is equipped to handle 300 passengers during peak hours.
- At present in UP there are only two operational airport in UP, this will be third and another one is coming up in Jewar.
More about Kushinagar Airport
- Airport has a single runway 11/29 having dimensions of 3200m X 45m with apron having 04 nos. of parking stands for A-321 type of aircraft.
- This will be 29th International airport of India.
- Kushinagar Airport built with Joint venture of state government and Airport Authority of India.
- This has strategic importance for India, as the border to Nepal is nearby.
- In June 2020, the airport was awarded international status to attract Buddhist pilgrims.
What Kushinagar is famous for?
This ancient city is the final resting place of the Gautama Buddha. Considered to be the most important pilgrim spot for Buddhist followers.
Buddha delivered his last sermon, attained Mahaparinirvana (salvation) in 483 BC. He was cremated at Rambhar Stupa. Being the death- place of Lord Buddha, Kushinagar is a very important holy place for pilgrimage.