On Friday, Twitter laid off thousands of employees in departments across the company, in a severe round of cost-cutting that could upend the way one of the world’s most influential platforms operates a week after it was acquired by the billionaire Elon Musk.
Numerous Twitter employees began posting on the platform Thursday night and Friday morning that they had already been blocked from their company email accounts prior to the planned layoff notification. Some also shared blue hearts and greeting emojis indicating they were with the company.
Twitter had around 7,500 workers before the Musk acquisition, which means roughly 3,738 employees were laid off. The cuts come as Musk tries to improve the company’s bottom line after securing significant debt financing to finance its $44 billion acquisition.
Employees fires in India
The fact that Twitter has 300 employees in India and nearly 250 employees across all functions were fired by Elon Musk, who was unhappy with the old management anyway for their allegedly dishonest and disingenuous appearance during the takeover deal.
If you are in an office or on your way to an office, come home. TwitterInternal note to staff
The sources said the layoffs are in engineering, sales and marketing, and communications teams. However, there is still no clarity on the severance package that will be paid to laid-off employees in India.
Twitter losing $4M a day
“Regarding Twitter’s reduction in force, unfortunately, there is no choice when the company is losing over $4M/day,” wrote Musk late Friday afternoon.
All offices temporarily closed
- The company will temporarily close all offices for the safety of employees, as well as Twitter systems and customer data.
- The company is reportedly laying off 3,738 people out of its total workforce of 7,500 worldwide.
- Elon Musk started his Twitter innings last week by firing CEO Parag Agrawal, CFO, and a few other top executives.
- Climate change poses ‘serious risks’ to mental health
- How is mental health related to climate change?
- Mental Health: 24×7 accepting hatred and negativity, How’s that gonna work?
- Prioritising Women’s mental health
- What are the 5 signs of mental illness?