The date of November 9 is recorded in history as the foundation day of Uttrakhand. Ultimately, on 9 November 2000, Uttarakhand was included in the Republic of India as the twenty-seventh state after several years of agitation over the demand for a separate Uttrakhand.
It was called Uttaranchal from the year 2000 to 2006, but in January 2007, it was renamed Uttarakhand to honor the sentiments of the local people.
Uttarakhand, which is part of Uttar Pradesh, borders Tibet in the north and Nepal in the east. Himachal Pradesh in the west and Uttar Pradesh in the south are the states bordering it. Uttarakhand means northern region or part in Hindi and Sanskrit.
Uttarakhand is also known as Dev Bhoomi because along with many ancient religious sites, this state is the origin of the largest rivers of the country, Ganga and Yamuna, considered the most sacred in Hinduism.
A series of other important events recorded on the date of November 9 in the history of the country
- 1236: Ruknuddin Feroz Shah hanged.
- 1270: Birth of the great saint Namdev.
- 1877: Birth of the great Urdu poet and philosopher Mohammad Iqbal. He was born in Sialkot, now part of Pakistan.
- 1922: In 1921, it is decided to give the Nobel Prize in Physics to Albert Einstein. In 1922, the Nobel committee selected the winner of the 1921 award for some reason.
- 1943: United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration was established and initially 44 countries agreed to establish it.
- 1947: Junagadh was incorporated into the Indian Union.
- 1960: Death of India’s first Air Chief Marshal Subrata Mukherjee.
- 1985: The world’s most famous couple, Prince Charles and Princess Diana, arrive in the US after marriage, where they are given a rousing welcome.
- 1989: The Berlin Wall separating West and East Berlin is demolished for three decades. It was built in 1961 and grew in length to 45 km.
- 1989 – Death penalty in Britain completely banned.
- 1996: Avender Holyfield won the World Heavyweight Boxing title for the third time by defeating Mike Tyson on technical grounds.
- 2000: Establishment of Uttarakhand. Accepting the demand of a long standing separate state, a part of Uttar Pradesh was made a new state.