The Bachelor of Technology in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering is an undergraduate engineering course which specializes in metallurgical and material science. The course spans 4 years and over 8 semesters. The average tuition fees for this course is about 93,700 INR yearly. Now, to take admission to this course aspirants can take various entrance tests out of which JEE Main is one of the most popular exams.
The JEE Main 2020 September exam is conducted successfully between 1st to 6th September. The results will be declared tentatively on 11th September. Students can now wait for the results and interview call for admission to the various engineering courses. Students interested in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering courses can check the list of top 5 Institutes as mentioned here. Here we will focus on these institutes and few details about the course and JEE Main exam.
What is BTech in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering?
This course aims at the deep study of the ores, metals, and involves metallurgical processes. The course combines the theoretical study of these processes, along with their practical application in a real-life scenario. JEE Main is one of the premier exams used to take entry to this course. We will discuss the exam and along with the colleges in the section below.
The scope of this course is vast as metals are used to manufacture various products and is used as raw materials in the Manufacturing Industry. Graduates passing this course can easily earn between 15,000 INR to 25,000 INR per month. Some of the high paying job roles after this course are as follows – Production Metallurgy Engineer, Process Design Engineer or Application Engineer- Steel Metallurgy. Let’s explore the 5 institutes that we have shortlisted for you to study BTech in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering through JEE Main.
JEE Main: 5 top BTech in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering Institutes
Let’s check these 5 Colleges below –
- National Institute of Technology Warangal – National Institute of Technology Warangal is ranked 19th in the Engineering Study sector as per NIRF 2020 Ranking. NIT Warangal was formerly known as the Regional College of Engineering. The foundation stone of the college was laid by Sri Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. The college boasts of 5010 students currently which includes both male and female students. The faculty number is 302 out of which most of them possess PhDs from reputed National and Foreign Universities. This institute is thus a premier college in the field of BTech courses.
BTech in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering is one such course offered by this college. The time spans for 4 years and will cost 3.05 Lakhs INR in total for General Category Students. The fees for the SC/ST is 54,500 INR. The admission to this course is strictly based on JEE Main Score and corresponding Rank. Centralized counselling is conducted by JoSAA to carry out admissions in 7 rounds. The eligibility is 75% marks in 10+2 with Physics & Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Post graduating one can earn between 7 Lakhs to 11 Lakhs PA in their placements. The closing rank for General Category students in 2019 was 22735.
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT) – Formerly known as Visvesvaraya Regional College of Engineering (VRCE), VNIT is a 60 years old college. The college was founded in 1960. After the institute was converted to VNIT in 2002, the college was regarded as an Institute of National Importance as per National Institutes of Technology, Act 2007. The admission to the various BTech programs in this college is conducted through JEE Main entrance exam.
The college offers a BTech course in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering. The duration of the course is 4 years. The fee of the course is 5.47 Lakhs INR. The Central Seat Allocation Board conducts the admission to this course. The eligibility is the same as that of JEE Main. The JEE Main 2019 cutoff for General Aspirants in Round One was 19520-24309 (Other State) and 17926-22996 (Home State).
- National Institute of Technology (NIT) Durgapur – This college was formerly known as Regional Engineering College and is placed 47th in Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2020. NIT Durgapur is a Deemed University located in West Bengal and is fully-funded by the Government of India. The institute is administered by an autonomous Board of Governors and is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the courses are approved by the All India Council of Technical Education. The institute currently boasts of 3618 students and a strong 224 faculties of the highest quality. The undergraduate Metallurgical & Materials Engineering course offered by the college will cost 149,100 INR per annum.
To be eligible for this course, aspirants will have to take up JEE Main Exam and must have at least 75% marks in 10+2. JoSAA conducts the counselling, and the application fee is 650 INR for General Category & 325 INR for reserved categories. As far placements are concerned in the 2019 Batch, out of 69 students in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, 41 got placed. The overall average CTC at NIT Durgapur was 9.09 Lakhs INR per annum. Last year Round One General Category cutoff for this course was 13714 – 26328 (Other State) and 26242-31818 (Home State).
- National Institute of Technology, Surathkal stands at 13th spot in the Engineering field as per NIRF 2020 Rankings. It is one of the top engineering colleges in India boasting of student strength of at least 4,688. The class profile is diverse, and the number of faculty members is 400. The courses are recognized by UGC and approved by AICTE. It is one of the oldest Engineering Institutes in India, offering a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses with various specializations.
One such specialization is BTech in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering. Admissions at NIT Surathkal happens every year and are conducted via national level exams like JEE Main & GATE. For BTech – Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, JEE Main All India Rank is considered. The Last year’s Round One JEE Main 2019 cutoff in General Category the same course was 14124-16782 (Other State) & 15799-23404 (Home State).
The institute overall enjoys an excellent placement record with nearly 92% of all UG students getting placed during the last year. The average CTC was 18 Lakhs INR PA, and the highest CTC was worth 42 Lakhs INR PA. The total course fee is 4.84 Lakhs INR.
- PEC University of Technology – The Punjab Engineering College University of Technology is one of the top engineering institutes in Punjab. It has been Deemed University since 2003 via an MHRD notification. Then the college was renamed in 2009 as PEC University of Technology. The college boasts 9 academic departments and has 2 centres of excellence.
The institute offers various courses at Undergraduate, PG, and Doctorate levels in various specialized fields. The BTech in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering is one such field. The Admissions at PEC Chandigarh happens strictly on the basis of JEE Main All India Rank for the undergraduate courses. PEC University of Technology provides a plethora of facilities like Medical Benefits, Research Project Awards for Graduates, Computer Center, Hostels and Library, Superb Campus and many more.
Last year, the Round One JEE Main cutoff in this course for General Candidates was 22511 to 32666 (Other State) and 31861-53450 (Home State). Placements overall were good with packages ranging between 8.4 Lakhs to 42 Lakhs INR. The course fees for this course is 3.45 Lakhs INR.
JEE Main Exam – Eligibility & Future Events
Well, the JEE Main 2020 April Session is finally conducted between 1st to 6th September after much delay. NTA has kept no stones unturned to maintain safety for the test-takers. Coming to eligibility, students must have passed 10+2 with 75% marks in subjects like – Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology.
After the JEE Main entrance exam, the JEE Main 2020 Answer Key is released. Students can challenge the responses in the Answer Key. If the challenge is accepted, then a processing fee of 1000 INR will be refunded. This will also impact the final result of the student. After the answer keys, the final results and AIR will be released by NTA. Based on which various colleges will publish their cutoffs, and the Counselling Session will start as well.
Please Note – The official dates on Answer Key, and Counselling are not released yet. Stay tuned to the official website for new updates.
So, these are our pick of the top 5 Engineering Institutes where aspirants can apply to study BTech – Metallurgical & Materials Science Engineering. To study this course in these institutes, JEE Main scores are mandatory. Now, with the JEE Main September exam too conducted, students must wait for the JEE Main Answer Key 2020, and Results. After that, they will be called by the appropriate authority for counselling to take admission to their dream colleges.