Ground Report | New Delhi: Sushant Singh Rajput case; The CBI has sought help from the US to probe the death of actor Sushant Singh Rajput. The CBI has sought help from US companies Google and Facebook to recover deleted data from Sushant Singh Rajput’s social media accounts and emails to decipher any clues related to his death in the past Hindustan Times reported.
The body of Sushant Singh Rajput was found on June 14, 2020, at his Bandra residence in Mumbai. His family, including his girlfriend and actress Rhea Chakraborty, were accused of the death of Sushant Singh. However, Rhea Chakraborty has denied all the allegations.
The CBI has sought information from Google and Facebook about the deleted chats, emails, or posts of Sushant Singh under the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) so that they can be investigated.
The development means that it may take some more time to finalize the investigation into Sushant Singh’s death as sharing of information through MLAT is a time-consuming process.
The premier agency told through a statement last year that it is investigating the matter from all angles. Among the angles she is exploring are inciting suicide charges against Rhea Chakraborty, as alleged by Rajput’s family; And whether the actor ventured under any professional pressure, nepotism in Bollywood, etc.
“Sending the request to the US is part of that exercise because we don’t want to miss out on any aspect,” another official said on condition of anonymity.
Senior advocate Vikas Singh, representing Sushant Singh’s family, lauded the CBI for sending the request to Google and Facebook. “I am not surprised as they (CBI) want to do a thorough investigation before finalizing the case. There is a lot of mystery behind Sushant Singh’s death like there is no eyewitness, or there is no camera footage to show what happened and I think CBI is trying to find a proper lead.”
After the death of Sushant Singh, his father KK Singh had lodged a complaint against Sushant’s girlfriend Riya Chakraborty, and her family in Patna. He was charged with abetment to suicide.
Earlier the Mumbai Police was investigating the matter. But, in August 2020, the investigation will be handed over to the CBI on the orders of the Supreme Court. The Enforcement Directorate and the Narcotics Control Bureau are also probing various aspects of the case.