Powered by

Home Top Stories

Srinagar: Questions raised on army encounter, Families say ‘our sons’ students, not militants’

In Jammu And Kashmir's Srinagar, Army and Police had recently claimed to have killed three militants in an encounter with security forces.

By Ground report
New Update
Srinagar: 3 militants killed, say police; families allege deceased were students

In Srinagar, Army and Police had recently claimed to have killed three militants in an encounter with security forces. The army claims that these people were planning to attack the security forces on National highway. However the relatives of the killed youth have called this encounter a fake.

Family members said that their children had nothing to do with militancy and they were ordinary citizens and school students. 

Also read: Srinagar encounter: Families of slain youth stage protest, say ‘our sons not militants’

Army General Officer Commanding Major General HS Sahi had said in a press conference on Wednesday that three extremists were killed in an encounter inside a building in Hokersar area of ​​Srinagar.

General HS Sahi also said that the killed extremists were also asked to surrender, for which they were not ready and they started firing on the security forces, after which the encounter started.

Since past many days, intelligence inputs were pouring in continuously about the movement of militants on the Srinagar-Baramulla highway. Yesterday, we developed leads and came to know that militants are hiding in a house right opposite to Noora hospital at Lawaypora in HMT area, General HS Sahi said.

ALSO Read: Army’s Major Shopian Convicted of Murder in Encounter

But the relatives say that the army's claim is false and they were not even given the dead bodies of their children and they were buried away from home.

Zubair's mother Sarah Begum, crying, "That morning I served food for him. After that I don't know who took him? He was neither with the extremists nor he had any connection with anyone. The next day It was found out that he has been martyred. He was a common citizen. His sisters are very upset. She wants to see the face of the brother. The face was not shown even where he was buried. "

Mohammad Maqbool's son Aijaz Maqbool Ganai was at his house till Wednesday afternoon. Maqbool says, "The day he disappeared, he left home after asking his mother that day. He left home for college that day at ten thirty in the morning. At around four o'clock, he had a phone conversation with his mother." Told my mother that I am reaching home for an hour.

Also READ:  Post Davinder Singh episode, MHA takes charge of J&K Police postings

Aijaz’s father is a police constable deputed in Kashmir’s Ganderbal district. “My brother left for Kashmir University. He called me saying he won’t be able to come home and will stay in Srinagar,” said Aijaz’s sister, who was part of the protest. She alleged: “My brother had backache and was home for two months. She has been killed in a fake encounter.” she said that her father Muhammad Maqbool Ganai called her and asked for Aijaz’s photograph. “My father told me that Aijaz has been killed in encounter. We were shell shocked,” she said amid tears and sobs.

He did not return till late and the mobile phone was constantly coming off. I got a phone call from Rajpura police station at eight thirty in the morning. Then asked where is your son and when Got out of the house? Then asked for a picture of my son."

However Jammu and Kashmir Police Director General Dilbag Singh said in a press conference on Thursday that he cannot reject the Army's claims. However, he said that he will also investigate the claims made from the families.

However None of the three youth who were killed in an encounter at Lawaypora area of Srinagar had any case or FIR against them in their respective police stations neither was any missing report filed.

You can connect with Ground Report on FacebookTwitter and Whatsapp, and mail us at [email protected] to send us your suggestions and writeups.