Ground Report | New Delhi: Deshbhakti curriculum in Delhi schools’; The Delhi government on Tuesday released its ‘patriotic’ curriculum for schools on the birth anniversary of Bhagat Singh. The aim of this course is to nurture the spirit of patriotism among the students from nursery to 12th standard. The government says it wants to do this within the scope of classroom activities and its definition.
Deshbhakti curriculum in Delhi schools
All students will be able to learn about patriotism through activities that take place inside and outside the classroom. This class will be held twice a week for the students of class 11th and 12th and daily for the students of class 6th to 8th. Each class will be of 40 minutes and its syllabus and handbook for teachers were released on Tuesday.
The Patriotic Curriculum mandates one period every day for the study of patriotism for students from Nursery to Class 8 and two classes per week – not on consequent days – for senior students of Classes 9 to 12. According to a circular issued last week by the Directorate of Education (DOE), “Each patriotic period will begin with a five-minute ‘patriotic meditation’ where teachers and students will practice mindfulness, their gratitude to the country, freedom fighters and any five individuals.” Whom they consider to be patriots, and pledge their respect for the country.”
Delhi Chief Minister Kejriwal had earlier said that the patriotism curriculum would not be based on memorization and there would be no tests. “It will be activity-based and students will be told stories about freedom and pride of the nation,” he said. “Children will be made aware of their responsibilities and duties towards the country.”
The Vision Behind Patriotic Curriculum
- Build a sense of duty, responsibility and sacrifice towards the nation
- live in harmony and respect with the world
- Understand the problems of the country and find solutions
- To inculcate the feeling of patriotism in children, to make them realize that it is not only for special occasions like Independence Day
- Even small acts done responsibly every day build patriotism.
Patriotic Class Schedule
- patriotic meditation
- Children should practice meditation for 5 minutes, take a pledge to respect the country and express gratitude to the freedom fighters
- Remember five new freedom fighters every day
- Children keep a diary to record their feelings and thoughts and experiences in class
- Discussion among students based on the main questions given in each chapter
- Children ask questions to three people older than their age, one person in the household and two people outside their family
- Answers to be written in the diary in one or two sentences; Have a group discussion on the appointed day