Ground Report | New Delhi: Who is Bijoy Bania; Two people have died in a clash between the encroachers and the administration who went to remove ‘illegal encroachments’ in Assam. The incident is of Dholpur village number three of Darang district.
The state government has ordered an inquiry into the matter. The Home Department release of the Assam government said that the probe would be headed by a retired judge of the Gauhati High Court. The circumstances of the incident will be known in the investigation.
ALSO READ: What’s happening in Assam?
Who is Bijoy Bania?
Bijoy Bania is a photographer hired by the district administration to document the government eviction drive, proceeds to jump on the protester, stomps on him, punches him – and back to repeat the same.
Bijoy Bania, a local from the Darrang district, who is in his early 30s, was hired by the district administration.
What’s happening in Assam?
- On September 20, following an order from the Assam government, the administration in Sipajhar in Darrang district evicted at least 800 families occupying about 4,500 bighas of land in a campaign.
- While the eviction operation was carried out again on Thursday morning against about two hundred families and only then this firing incident took place.
- Clashes broke out at Sipajhar in Assam’s Darrang district on Thursday when thousands of people protested the government’s ongoing eviction drive against “illegal encroachers”, killing at least two people from both sides and injuring several.
- In a video that surfaced on social media, a protester armed with sticks was shot at from close range, and later thrashed and jumped unconscious on the ground.
- Special DGP GP Singh confirmed the casualties to civilians and said that nine policemen were injured.
- Darrang Superintendent of Police Sushant Biswa Sarma told the media that the police “did what they had to do” in “self-defence”.