Ground Report | New Delhi: What’s happening in Assam; Two people have died in a clash between the encroachers and the administration who went to remove ‘illegal encroachments’ in Assam. The incident is of Dholpur village number three of Darang district.
The state government has ordered an inquiry into the matter. The Home Department release of the Assam government said that the probe would be headed by a retired judge of the Gauhati High Court. The circumstances of the incident will be known in the investigation.
What’s happening in Assam?
- On September 20, following an order from the Assam government, the administration in Sipajhar in Darrang district evicted at least 800 families occupying about 4,500 bighas of land in a campaign.
- While the eviction operation was carried out again on Thursday morning against about two hundred families and only then this firing incident took place.
- Clashes broke out at Sipajhar in Assam’s Darrang district on Thursday when thousands of people protested the government’s ongoing eviction drive against “illegal encroachers”, killing at least two people from both sides and injuring several.
- In a video that surfaced on social media, a protester armed with sticks was shot at from close range, and later thrashed and jumped unconscious on the ground.
- Special DGP GP Singh confirmed the casualties to civilians and said that nine policemen were injured.
- Darrang Superintendent of Police Sushant Biswa Sarma told the media that the police “did what they had to do” in “self-defence”.
ALSO READ: These are the 10 oldest companies in India
political reaction on what’s happening in Assam
- People are outraged after the video of police brutality surfaced. Congress MP Rahul Gandhi tweeted saying, “There is a government-sponsored fire in Assam. I stand with my brothers and sisters of the state. No child in India deserves this.
- Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi has raised questions on the BJP government in a Facebook post regarding this incident, she said, “BJP wants to throw the country run by Gandhiji’s inspiration in the fire of violence and hatred. Violence and hatred are his words and deeds. The amount of condemnation of this incident in Assam is less.
- Shiv Sena MP Priyanka Chaturvedi has also expressed displeasure. He said, “Just saw the most horrifying and depressing video of Assam. We are becoming a blood thirsty society.”
- Congress MP from Assam Gaurav Gogoi has made serious allegations against Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and his brother.
- The video of the incident is becoming increasingly viral on social media. In this video, it can be seen that a villager is running towards the police with sticks, after which he is shot. (What’s happening in Assam)
- Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma, headed by a retired Gauhati High Court judge, has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that led to the deaths and injuries.
- Late on Thursday evening, the man, identified as a photographer working in the district administration, was arrested after he was injured when he jumped on the protestor.
- Speaking to the press on Thursday afternoon, before the violence turned worse, the CM said the police have been given the “responsibility to evict and clear the land”.
- “They will do their duty. According to the information I got, people attacked the police using sticks, slaves etc. The eviction will be done as planned by 4 pm.
- The judicial inquiry will be headed by a retired judge of the Gauhati High Court.
- “The Government in the Home and Political Departments has decided to inquire into the circumstances leading to the death of 02 (two) civilians and injuries to several others including police personnel in the firing incident in Dhalpur area of Sipajhar revenue division. under Darrang district on 23/09/21,” said an order issued by the Government of Assam.