More than 5,000 people have died in the Ukraine city of Mariupol since the Russian attack of the country began on February 24, Mayor Vadym Boychenko said via a Facebook live stream.
Boychenko described the devastation of the war in the region and recounted the horrors carried out by Russian troops, including the bombing of a children’s hospital and a maternity hospital, in addition to the theater that housed more than 900 people in a makeshift way. According to local government sources, of the 5,000 dead, 210 are children.
Ukraine Russian attack
- Thousands of people are trying to flee the Donbass amid fears that Russian attacks in eastern Ukraine will intensify.
- Ukrainian officials are also appealing to the people that until the attacks have not escalated, the common people here take it as an opportunity and leave here.
- In order to control the entire Donbass region consisting of Donetsk and Luhansk, the Russian army has started an attempt to encircle Ukrainian forces.
- The US has said that Russia has now withdrawn its forces from Kiev and Chernihiv to increase its military action in the eastern part.
What is the situation in the rest of Ukraine:
- According to the local official, there are reports of more than 400 people missing from the Hostomel area.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday morning called international sanctions on Russia “very weak”. He said that such mild restrictions allow the attacker to continue his attack.
What is happening in the world regarding Ukraine:
- The US has started imposing sanctions on those close to Russian President Putin, including his daughters.
- Both Britain and America have confiscated the assets of Russia’s largest bank (Sberbank).
- European Union leaders are also considering imposing additional sanctions on Russia. This also includes a ban on imports of coal from Russia, but some senior leaders said that a ban on oil and gas is also necessary.
- The President of Russia has said that sanctions are the price his country will have to pay for independence.
- Pope Francis has condemned the massacre in the Ukrainian city of Butcha. However, Russia has consistently denied these allegations.
- The United Nations will vote on Thursday whether to retain Russia’s membership of the UN Human Rights Council.