A video that circulates on social networks and has gone viral shows in an unbeatable way the resistance of the Ukraine tank against the Russian convoy in Kyiv. The footage, collected by drone and posted by a unit of Ukrainian volunteers on Telegram, shows a single well-positioned Ukrainian T-64 tank attacking a convoy of Russian BTR-82A armoured vehicles on a road in Nova Basan, west of Kyiv.
The date of the ambush has not been released, but it is believed to have taken place last week, as most Russian forces withdrew from cities and towns around Kyiv late last week and during the last weekend.
The Ukrainian tank managed to operate incredibly effectively against Russian armour, despite the considerable discrepancy in their technology. The T-64 is a machine that was first deployed in the 1960s. Ukraine inherited thousands of these armoured vehicles when the Soviet Union (USSR) was dissolved.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has called for warplanes and tanks to help repel Russian forces, but the request has met some resistance from NATO allies who are hesitant to spark a wider conflict.
The leader accused Moscow of committing a “true genocide” as he was visibly emotional, flanked by his soldiers and dressed in a bulletproof vest.
However, The US Agency for International Development has reported the delivery of 5,000 SpaceX Starlink terminals to Ukraine, bolstering internet access for residents after the Russian invasion began on February 24.
“The terminals will allow civil servants and critical service providers for citizens to continue communicating within Ukraine and with the outside world,” even if Russia cuts off other communications infrastructure in the country.
Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp. is deploying its Starlink constellation in low-Earth orbit to sell high-speed internet access around the world, initially targeting consumers in rural and underserved areas with little or no current internet access.
The keys of the day
- The United States will announce today, in coordination with the G7 and the European Union, a new package of sanctions against Russia.
- Washington will sanction the two adult daughters of Vladimir Putin, as announced by the White House
- The president of Ukraine, Volodímir Zelenski, intervenes in the Congress of Deputies and compares the situation in his country with the bombing of Guernica in 1937.
- Zelensky demands reform of the UN Security Council to overcome the Russian veto.
- Russia announces a final offensive to definitely take control of the city of Mariupol. (Ukraine tank Russian convoy)