In Udaipur, Rajasthan, two men barged into a tailor’s shop and killed him. Both had also made a video of the murder and called it revenge for the controversial remarks of former BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma on Prophet Mohammad.
Mohammad Riaz is originally from Asind in Bhilwara. He lives on rent in Khanjipeer, Udaipur and works as Khidmat in mosques. While Ghaus Mohammad is a resident of Bhima of Rajsamand. He also lives on rent in Khanjipeer, Udaipur. He has work related to welding and land transactions.
Udaipur shopkeeper murder
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) directed the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to probe the murder of Kanhaiya Lal Teli, a tailor who was murdered a day earlier by two men in Rajasthan’s Udaipur. In a statement, the Home Minister’s Office said, “The involvement of any organisation and international links will be thoroughly investigated.”
Two men killed Kanhaiya Lal with a knife in the Dhan Mandi area of Udaipur city and uploaded a video online saying that they are taking revenge for insulting Islam. The accused went to Kanhaiya Lal’s shop posing as a customer and while he was taking measurements, one of them attacked him with a knife. He later posted the video of the brutal murder on social media.
The accused, identified as Riyaz Akhtari and Ghaus Mohammad, have been arrested for the murder. In another video clip, Akhtari said that he had beheaded the man and threatened Prime Minister Narendra Modi that his knife would be found by him too.
- Former BJP leader Naveen Kumar Jindal also claimed that he had received similar threats. In a letter to Delhi Police, Jindal said he had received three threatening emails.
- He said that the accused have given him the courage to leave the house alone. Jindal was sacked from the BJP after a controversy started over his remarks against the Prophet, which was also against the Prophet in support of suspended party BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma’s statement.
- Karnataka BJP has launched an online campaign called “Terrorist Congress” in the backdrop of the beheading of a Hindu man in Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- The BJP in its online post said that “Hindus are being massacred in the Congress-ruled state of India. The incident in Rajasthan is proof that wherever Congress comes to power there will be no protection for Hindus.” Post said.
- The BJP said, “Congress is a terrorist party. The main objective of the Congress party is to appease the fundamentalist elements. Why is Congress silent even after the inhuman incident.”
Ajmer Dargah Deewan statement
Ajmer Dargah Diwan Zainul Abedin Ali Khan said on Tuesday that the Muslims of India will never allow the mentality of Talibanization in the country to come to the fore.
“No religion promotes violence against humanity. Especially in Islam, all teachings serve as a source of peace,” Khan said in a statement.
“I strongly discourage this act and request the government to take strict action against them. The Muslims of India will never allow the mentality of Talibanization to come to the fore in our motherland.
The brutal murder has drawn heavy criticism from several political leaders including AIMIM supremo Asaduddin Owaisi. The All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief on Tuesday condemned the killing of a tailor for allegedly insulting Islam in Rajasthan’s Udaipur district.
“The Udaipur incident is barbaric, uncivilised and there is no room for justification of violence in Islam. We strongly condemn it. No citizen should take law in his own hands. Let the law prevail,” Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, a Muslim religious organisation wrote on Twitter.
“I condemn the gruesome murder in Udaipur Rajasthan. There can be no justification for it. Our party’s consistent stand is to oppose such violence. No one can take law in their own hands. We demand that the state govt takes strictest possible action. Rule of law must be upheld” he said.
Senior Congress leader Shashi Tharoor tweeted, I unreservedly condemn the horrific beheading of shopkeeper KanhaiyaLal in Udaipur by two Muslim youth, who then posted a gruesome video of the murder on social media. The killers must receive exemplary punishment. No one should have any illusion that they can get away w/such crimes,whatever the provocation. Urge social media companies to take down the video in order not to inflame passions. Police should also act against the instigators.
ASI suspended for negligence
An assistant sub-inspector (ASI) of Udaipur’s Dhan Mandi police station has been suspended for negligence following the murder of a tailor on Tuesday.
Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Hawa Singh Ghumaria said an FIR was registered against Kanhaiya Lal for sharing a controversial post on social media on June 11 and he was arrested.
- Who are Riyaz and Ghaus beheaded Hindu shopkeeper in Udaipur?
- Hindu Shopkeeper beheaded in Udaipur, A complete story
- Udaipur horror: #JusticeForKanhaiyaLal is trending