India administered 1 Billion vaccine doses on Thursday. This is a big achievement for a huge country like India. It took just nine months for the country to cross the historic figure. The government of India has planned to celebrate this success.
What is achieved?
- 75 per cent of eligible population has taken the first dose. It took just nine months for the country to cross the historic figure.
- According to Cowin App, So far India registered 76 crore vaccine beneficiaries.
- The number is twice the number of vaccines administered in the United States, five times that of Japan, nine times that of Germany and 10 times the number of vaccine doses administered in France.
- One billion doses of Covid vaccine were administered in just nine months. It took 20 years for the polio drive (1994-2014) and 32 years for TB vaccination (1989 and still ongoing) to cross the milestone.
- Only China has administered a billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines till now (and also has a population of more than one billion). It crossed the milestone in June.
What is achieved and yet to be achieved?
- Only 20% people got 2 doses of vaccine, 50 % people got only 1 Jab. This tells us that thers is huge gap between fully inoculated and those that have just one shot.
- No vaccines have been deployed yet for the 40 per cent of the population that is under 18. Government has approved bharat biotech vaccine for this section. But inoculation drive not started yet.
- In rural areas, government welfare is tied to having just one shot, with some having to travel long distances to return for the second dose.
ALSO READ: What could be the new name of Facebook?