Powered by

Advertisment
Home Art And Culture

Nora Fatehi defamation case against Jacqueline Fernandez, whole story

Nora Fatehi on Monday filed a defamation case in a Delhi court against fellow actress Jacqueline Fernandez in a ₹200 crore

By Ground report
New Update
Nora Fatehi defamation case against Jacqueline Fernandez, whole story

Nora Fatehi on Monday filed a defamation case in a Delhi court against fellow actress Jacqueline Fernandez in a ₹200 crore money laundering case involving conman Sukesh Chandrasekhar, claiming she made the statement "to destroy her career".

Why did Nora Fatehi file a defamation case?

The actor alleged that Jacqueline "made defamatory allegations against him for malicious reasons". This was in response to Jacqueline's plea before the Appellate Authority of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act or PMLA court, where she said she was being falsely implicated by the ED, while celebrities like Nora Fatehi had also received gifts from conman Sukesh Chandrasekhar.

Fifteen other media organizations are also involved in the defamation suit, which may be questioned in this regard. Advocate Vikram Chauhan said that this defamation case related to Fernandez and media organizations would come up for hearing on December 19.

“The complainant spoke to Chandrasekhar only when his wife Leena Maria Paul spoke to him on speakerphone at an event in Chennai where the complainant was invited by Leena. At the time of the incident, the complainant was gifted an iPhone and a Gucci bag by Leena. The complainant never received any gift from Chandrasekhar," Fatehi said in the complaint.

Fatehi also denied that she had received a luxury car from Chandrasekhar and said it was part payment to her brother-in-law Bobby Khan, whom Chandrasekhar had approached to direct a film.

Nora's claim

  • "Jacqueline Fernandez has tried to criminally defame the complainant to further her own interests as they both are working in the same industry and have similar backgrounds among other reasons," she said in her plea.
  • He denied all claims that he had anything to do with Sukesh Chandrasekhar. She further stated that she had no direct relation with Sukesh Chandrasekhar and knew him only through his wife Leena Maria Paul.
  • No gifts were ever received by the complainant from Chandrashekhar.
  • "Since the complainant had never spoken to Chandrasekhar, let alone met him, the allegation made by Fernandez and its subsequent publication by the accused media houses is incorrect," the complaint said.

Involvement in Sukesh case

Sukesh is accused of allegedly extorting Rs 200 crore from the wife of former Fortis Healthcare promoter Shivinder Singh. In its supplementary charge sheet filed on August 17 in the case, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) claimed that Fernandes had received gifts worth Rs 5.71 crore from Chandrasekhar, which were proceeds of crime, but "tried to justify himself".

He is accused of running an extortion racket from inside Tihar Jail. He has also duped Aditi Singh, wife of Shivinder Mohan Singh, former promoter of Fortis Healthcare.

Fatehi, who also received gifts from Sukesh, has been called several times for questioning, but has not been made an accused. His statement has been included in the prosecution's complaint.

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) told a Delhi court in December last year that actresses Jacqueline Fernandez and Nora Fatehi had received luxury cars, phones and other expensive gifts from conman Sukesh Chandrasekhar and his wife and actor Leena Maria Paul.

ALSO READ

Follow Ground Report for Climate Change and Under-Reported issues in India. Connect with us on FacebookTwitterKoo AppInstagramWhatsapp and YouTube. Write to us at [email protected].