A CBI special court is expected today to deliver a verdict in the suicide case of actor Jiah Khan, who was found dead at his Juhu home in Mumbai on June 3, 2013. Actor Sooraj Pancholi has been charged with instigating her suicide.
A Complete Timeline
- June 3, 2013: Jiah Khan, a US citizen and Bollywood actress, is found hanged in her Mumbai apartment in Juhu.
- June 4, 2013: Jiah Khan’s autopsy is performed and her body is handed over to her family for last rites.
- June 10, 2013 – Jiah’s mother, Rabia Khan, alleges that her daughter was murdered and files a petition in the Bombay High Court requesting a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the case.
- June 13, 2013: Sooraj Pancholi, Jiah Khan’s boyfriend, is arrested on charges of instigating her suicide. He is later granted bail.
- June 14, 2013 – Police retrieve Jiah’s six-page suicide note, which she allegedly blames Sooraj for prompting her to take the drastic step.
- January 2014 – The CBI takes over the case from the Mumbai Police, after Jiah’s mother alleged that the police were trying to protect Sooraj.
- December 2015: The CBI files a charge sheet against Sooraj Pancholi, accusing him of being an accessory to Jiah’s suicide.
- January 2016: Sooraj Pancholi travels to the Bombay High Court, requesting the return of his passport, which was submitted to the court as a condition of his release on bail.
- February 2016: The Mumbai High Court grants Sooraj Pancholi permission to travel abroad, but tells her to submit his itinerary and return his passport by February 28.
- March 2016: Sooraj Pancholi files a petition in the Bombay High Court, requesting a stay of the trial in the Jiah Khan case until the CBI hands over all the documents in the case to her.
- June 2016: The Mumbai High Court dismisses Sooraj Pancholi’s stay of trial petition and orders the CBI to hand over all documents related to the case.
- February 2018: Sooraj Pancholi files a petition with the Bombay High Court, seeking the dismissal of the charges against him in the Jiah Khan suicide case.
- July 2018: Sooraj Pancholi’s petition to drop the charges against him in the Jiah Khan suicide case is rejected by the Bombay High Court.
- March 2019: The trial in the Jiah Khan suicide case begins in a special CBI court in Mumbai.
- March 2021: The trial in the Jiah Khan suicide case concludes and the CBI special court reserves its verdict.
- 2022: The Bombay High Court dismissed another petition from Rabia seeking a fresh investigation of the case.
- April 2023- The final arguments in the case were concluded, and the Special Judge AS Sayyad reserved the case for a verdict.
- Why Justice For Jiah Khan is Trending, A complete story
- Why Justice for #TenneseeThree is trending in the United States?
Follow Ground Report for Climate Change and Under-Reported issues in India. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Koo App, Instagram, Whatsapp and YouTube. Write us at GReport2018@gmail.com