Ground Report | New Delhi: Nirbhaya Squads in Maharashtra; Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray accompanied by State Home Minister Dilip Walse Patil on 26th January launched 91 Nirbhaya Squad in Mumbai for women’s safety.
The Maharashtra Government decided to form the Nirbhaya Squad after the brutal rape and murder of a woman in suburban Sakinaka in 2021. The incident had alikeness to the Nirbhaya gang-rape case in Delhi.
The Nirbhaya Squad be formed of specially trained female and male officers put on duty across Mumbai 24/7 to call on this helpline number-103. To create awareness of Nirbhaya Squad they also posted a short film, in which they collaborated with Bollywood actor Amitabh Bacchan’s voiceover and filmmaker Rohit Shetty.
The short film begins with a voiceover of Amitabh Bachchan who talks about women’s bravery and the harassment they face in their daily life. In the video, a number of women of different ages can be seen being harassed by men at several public places in Mumbai. So they dial the Nirbhaya Squad helpline number- 103, following which the women police officers can be seen rushing to their rescue. The Police then arrest the harassers.
Mumbai Police also captioned the video in Hindi, “Laangh Ke Ab Tu Laxman Rekha, Ban Nidar, Ban Nirbhaya!, Fearless women A trademark of Mumbai!”. The video also uses Sooryanvanshi’s track. The video has been directed by Rohit Shetty.
Uddhav Thackeray said that Maharashtra has always worshipped women and respected them. “We (government) will work to make sure that Maharashtra will be known as the saviour of women not only in India but in the entire world. Maharashtra is a ‘Shakti Pujak’ -a worshiper of women for the potential state,” he said.
Nirbhaya Squads in Maharashtra
- Each police station must establish a Women’s Security Cell.
- Five mobile patrol vehicles from each police station in Greater Mumbai should be called ‘Nirbhaya Squad’.
- Region ACP woman or police inspector woman rank to be appointed Nodal officer for Nirbhaya Squad.
- Each squad would be made up of a female officer of PSI or ASI rank, a woman and an agent and a driver.
- Two-day special training for all police employees who will be part of the “Nirbhaya Squad”.
- If a woman is traveling alone late at night, she asks for help, take her to a safer place and give the immediate help requested.
- Prepare a list of elderly women who live in her jurisdiction, they must visit and provide the necessary assistance during the patrol.
- A list of criminal records of sexual exploitation of women and children in Mumbai in the last five years should be prepared. The movements of criminals must be monitored.
- The Additional Police Commissioner shall establish Counseling Centers in his jurisdiction for minor victims. Affected children will be counselled by a psychiatrist at M Power.
- Workshops will be organized to train officers and executives of the Nirbhaya Squad.
ALSO READ: Coke Studios Kana Yaari song with Lyrics