Ground Report | New Delhi: civilians killed in Kashmir; So far, around 23 political activists and civilians were killed by gunmen in the Kashmir division in the targeted killings. News Agency KNO quoting sources said that eight killings took place in Srinagar district, followed by five from Kulgam, four from Tral area of Awantipora police district, two each from Baramulla and Anantnag and Budgam and Bandipora.
Shopian and Pulwama police districts in south Kashmir, known as hotbeds of terrorism, saw zero civilian or political killings this year, while Ganderbal in central Kashmir and Kupwara in north Kashmir have also reported no such incidents so far.
civilians killed in Kashmir
- On January 27, Nadif Hanif Khan, a resident of Soura, who was shot and injured by gunmen at his residence on December 1 last year, succumbed to his injuries.
- On 28 February, Akash Mehra, son of a popular Dhaba owner in Srinagar who was seriously injured in a terrorist attack on 17 February, succumbed to his injuries.
- On March 29, two councilors Riyaz Ahmed Peer and Shams-ud-din Peer were killed after a meeting of councilors in Sopore area of Baramulla district.
- On 11 April, Nisar Ahmed, a former police officer from Magam Budgam, was killed after being attacked in his area.
- On May 29, Sanjeed Ahmed Parry and Abdul Azim Parry, two civilians of Jablipora Bijbehara, were killed in their locality.
- On June 02, Rakesh Pandita, a municipal councilor associated with the BJP, was murdered in Tral area of South Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
- On June 23, Umar Ahmed, a resident of Habba Kadal, was killed by gunmen in his locality.
- On June 27, SPO Fayaz Ahmed, his wife Raja Begum and daughter Rafia Jan were killed in Hariparigam area of Awantipora in Pulwama district.
- On July 23, 35-year-old Javed Ahmed Malik of Lurgam village in Tral, an employee of the Education Department, was killed by a gunman near his residence.
- On July 27, Mehran Ali Pathan, a resident of Safa Kadal in Nawakadal area of Srinagar, was said to be part of a local gang.
- On 9 August, a couple named Ghulam Rasool Dar of Redwani Kulgam and his wife Jawahira Begum were murdered in their rented house in Lal Chowk, Srinagar.
- On August 17, Javed Dar, a political activist associated with the BJP, was murdered near his residence in Brajlu area of Kulgam district.
- On August 19, Ghulam Hasan Lone, belonging to his party, was murdered near his residence in Devsar area of Kulgam district.
- On September 18, a non-local laborer identified as Shankar Kumar Choudhary, a resident of Preetnagar Kathiar in Bihar, was killed by gunmen in the Nehama area of Kulgam.
- On 02 October, Majid Ahmed Gojri, a resident of Chattabal Srinagar, Srinagar, was murdered in the Karanagar area of Srinagar, while Mohammad Shafi Dar, a resident of Batamalo, was murdered in his area.
- On 05 October, Dr Bindroo Lal a chemist, Virendra Paswan a non-local street vendor and Mohammad Shafi Lone President of Sumo Drivers Association Naidkhai were murdered in Iqbal Park area, Lal Bazar and Shah Gund Hajin of Bandipora area respectively.
Earlier in the year, Kashmir Pandit Rakesh was assassinated in the Kulgam district of South Kashmir, he was elected panchayat chief. In 2020, another Kashmiri Pandit was murdered in Tral, who was a representative in the local body.
Almost all political parties have condemned these killings. He has described the murder of ML Bindroo as a condemnable act. Former chief minister Mehbooba Mufti hit out at the central government saying, “Surely these killings are a response to the false claim of normalcy in Jammu and Kashmir.”