All India Congress Committee In-charge for Jammu & Kashmir and a Member of Parliament, Rajni Patil Saturday said that the ongoing situation in Kashmir has exposed the fake claims of normalcy often being made by the Government of India.
Talking to reporters after visiting the residence of slain Muhammad Shafi Dar at Naidkhai, Bandipora, who was shot dead by unknown gunmen on last Tuesday, Patil said that coming here, she feels that the situation of 1990 is being repeated as innocent people are being shot here and the claims of normalcy that are being made by BJP government here are proving hollow.
She also said that there should be a judicial inquiry into the civilian killings that have taken place here over the last several days. “Victims of family members also demanded that the killers need to be identified as soon as earlier,” she said per news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO)
“How long will we call them unidentified gunmen? We have known them and if we can’t do that, we’re going to make a big mistake, ” she said, adding that the judicial inquiry should be done and the Congress party has always stood by it.
Patil said that there should be steps for improving the security situation rather than claiming that everything is normal.
30 civilians killed so far
- On 9 August, a couple named Ghulam Rasool Dar of Redwani Kulgam and his wife Jawahira Begum were murdered in their rented house in Lal Chowk, Srinagar.
- On August 17, Javed Dar, a political activist associated with the BJP, was murdered near his residence in Brajlu area of Kulgam district.
- On August 19, Ghulam Hasan Lone, belonging to his party, was murdered near his residence in Devsar area of Kulgam district.
- On September 18, a non-local laborer identified as Shankar Kumar Choudhary, a resident of Preetnagar Kathiar in Bihar, was killed by gunmen in the Nehama area of Kulgam.
- On 02 October, Majid Ahmed Gojri, a resident of Chattabal Srinagar, Srinagar, was murdered in the Karanagar area of Srinagar, while Mohammad Shafi Dar, a resident of Batamalo, was murdered in his area.
- On 05 October, Dr Bindroo Lal a chemist, Virendra Paswan a non-local street vendor and Mohammad Shafi Lone President of Sumo Drivers Association Naidkhai were murdered in Iqbal Park area, Lal Bazar and Shah Gund Hajin of Bandipora area respectively.