Ground Report | New Delhi: Blast outside Kabul airport; Taliban leader Sohail Shaheen confirmed the blasts outside Kabul airport, saying they took place when a large number of people were present. According to Sohail Shaheen, 13 people have been killed and about 52 injured in the blasts so far. “We condemn this horrific incident and will do everything possible to bring the perpetrators to justice,” he added.
Blast outside Kabul airport
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said US forces were responsible for security at the site of the blast at Kabul airport. He condemned the blast and said that the Islamic Emirate was paying special attention to the security of the people.
ALSO READ: Explosions near Kabul airport: what is known
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said Americans were killed in a blast at Kabul’s international airport on Thursday evening. He tweeted that, “We can confirm that the blast at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that killed many Americans and civilians. We can also confirm that There has been another explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from the AB Gate. We will keep providing further information.”
The British government also warned its citizens to stay away from Hamid Karzai International Airport, according to AFP. Photos and videos of the blast outside Kabul Airport are being shared on various social media accounts, which can be used to gauge the magnitude of the blast.
NATO Secretary-General Hans Stoltenberg has condemned the terrorist attack outside Kabul Airport in a Twitter message, saying his organization’s priority is to keep as many people as possible safe in the shortest possible time.
Alicia Cairns, a member of Britain’s Foreign Affairs and National Security Strategy Committees, said a bomb blast near the Baron Hotel had injured several people. The Baron Hotel is the site where British authorities are examining British and Afghan nationals eligible for evacuation from Afghanistan.