Famous comedian and YouTuber Bhuvan Bam is in controversy for his new video ‘Automatic Gaadi’. In this, people have lodged strong objections to one scene, where there is a dialogue that objectifies women. The National Commission for Women has also taken cognizance and demanded the Delhi Police to register an FIR against the comedian. Let us understand what is this controversy.
Why Bhuvan Bam’s Automatic Gaadi is in Controversy?
Actually, a new comedy video of Bhuvan Bam has come, whose name is Automatic Gaadi. There is a scene in it that has objectionable remarks on Pahari women. However, the entire video itself is mean and full of sloppy jokes.
What is an Objectification of a woman?
Objectification is a notion central to feminist theory. It can be roughly defined as seeing and/or treating a person, usually a woman, as an object. In this entry, the focus is primarily on sexual objectification, objectification occurring in the sexual realm.
Martha Nussbaum (1995, 257) has identified seven features that are involved in the idea of treating a person as an object:
- instrumentality: the treatment of a person as a tool for the objectifier’s purposes;
- denial of autonomy: the treatment of a person as lacking in autonomy and self-determination;
- inertness: the treatment of a person as lacking in agency, and perhaps also inactivity;
- fungibility: the treatment of a person as interchangeable with other objects;
- violability: the treatment of a person as lacking in boundary integrity;
- ownership: the treatment of a person as something that is owned by another (can be bought or sold);
- denial of subjectivity: the treatment of a person as something whose experiences and feelings (if any) need not be taken into account.
Rae Langton (2009, 228–229) has added three more features to Nussbaum’s list:
- reduction to the body: the treatment of a person as identified with their body, or body parts;
- reduction to appearance: the treatment of a person primarily in terms of how they look, or how they appear to the senses;
- silencing: the treatment of a person as if they are silent, lacking the capacity to speak.
After the video went viral on social media, many people demanded a complaint about the matter from the Women’s Commission. When the Women’s Commission asked to register an FIR, Bhuvan Bam said on Twitter that:
Some of them supported him
Who is Bhuvan Bam?
Bhuvan Bam is a YouTube content creator. He became very famous because of his channel BB Ki Vines. He has also appeared in OTT platform TVF’s web series Bachelors, Titu Talks and Dhindora. Bhuvan Bam had lost his parents in Covid, due to which he remained inactive for a long time. After a long time after emerging from misery, he returned to his channel BB Ki Vines.